- Prolific and award-winning writer and editor with 20 years of experience.
- Self-starter who meets demanding daily deadlines and maintains strong relationships with editors and sources.
- Professional mentor to college students and graduates.
Co-owner, FastCopy Communications, Bogart, GA
- Produce more than 400 articles, blogs, copy and photo slideshows annually for newspapers, magazines, websites and other media entities. Publications include: newspapers (Atlanta Journal-Constitution, The Wall Street Journal, Atlanta Business Chronicle); magazines (Atlanta Homes & Lifestyles, People, Atlanta Magazine, Georgia Trend, Georgia Magazine, Robb Report Vacation Home, Pink, Gulfshore Business, Green Builder, Biz941); and websites (HGTV.com, WebMD.com, MSN.com, Aol.com, ReadersDigest.com, Bankrate.com, AgingCare.com, InsuranceQuotes.com, SavingforCollege.com).
- Manage Fast Copy News Service, a team of more than a dozen writers
- Create email, brochure copy and video scripts for companies such as American Express and Chase, non-profit organizations such as the Naples (Fla.) Area Board of Realtors and North Point Ministries, and universities, including the University of Georgia and Georgia Tech.
Adjunct professor, University of Georgia’s Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication
- Consistently earn high ratings teaching News Reporting and Writing (JOUR 3410), Editing (JOUR 3510) and Magazine Writing (JOUR 5580).
- Create learning goals and syllabi, and develop lesson plans and assignments to teach basic and advanced skills in a compelling matter.
- Evaluate students and assign end-of-the-semester grades.
- Mentor former students during their college and professional careers.
October 2003-September 2004
Reporter/weekend day editor, The Associated Press Atlanta bureau
- Reported and wrote news, business and sports stories on deadline.
- Oversaw team of writers as weekend supervisor.
June 2003-October 2003
Freelance writer/editor, Athens, GA
- Contributor to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Atlanta Business Chronicle, Athens Banner-Herald, Gulfshore Business and Gulfshore Life.
September 2001-June 2003
Editor, Gulfshore Business, Naples, FL
- Helped redesign and relaunch Southwest Florida Business Magazine into Gulfshore Business, a glossy monthly regional publication under new ownership that covered a three-county region with 25,000 circulation.
- Managed team of freelancers and art staff to produce an award-winning publication.
January 2001-September 2001
Freelance writer, Charlotte, N.C.
- Contributed features to Charlotte Magazine and Charlotte Business Journal.
August 2000-January 2001
Editor, Crosswalk.com, Charlotte, N.C.
- Added entertainment coverage to the Christian website, creating a traffic-generating section by managing a team of freelancers providing movie and TV reviews, interviews with celebrities and commentary.
August 1999-August 2000
Reporter, The Business Journal of Charlotte
- Churned out multiple stories and a column on a weekly basis, working the health care and retail beats.
April 1997-August 1999
Reporter, The Associated Press, Atlanta
- Covered national news and political figures, including former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich and the Georgia Legislature.
June 1995-April 1997
Entertainment and teen writer, The Augusta Chronicle
- Planned and wrote articles for the weekly entertainment and teen sections of the newspaper, along with daily and breaking news stories.
September 1991-June 1995
The Red and Black, Athens, GA
- Rose up the ranks from staff writer to editor in chief of the independent daily student newspaper at the University of Georgia.
Awards and Guest Speaking
- Guest speaker, 2017 and 2016 UGA Entrepreneurial Journalism Symposium
- Charlie Award, 2016 Florida Magazine Association (Best In-Depth Reporting, Trade/Technical category) for Naples REALTOR® magazine story, “Safety First”
- Commentator, Peabody Awards Collection’s The Peabody Decades event, March 2014, University of Georgia
- Silver winner, 2013 Florida Magazine Association Charlie Award (Writing Excellence/Best Service Feature, Trade/Technical category) for Naples REALTOR® magazine story, “Closing the Door to Danger”
- Silver winner, 2012 Florida Magazine Association Charlie Award (Best In-Depth Reporting less than 50,000 circulation) for Gulfshore Business story, “Emergency Conditions”
- Instructor, Georgia Journalism Academy at the University of Georgia
- ABJ, Journalism (majoring in magazines), University of Georgia, 1995